Monday, February 9, 2009

Fruit and Veggie Deliveries

It's been quiet around here this last few weeks...I've gone into a more introspective mode and haven't been active with my blogging. Time to get back to writing.

Our Fruit and Vegetable program at the school is going along extremely well. I am so satisfied with how things are running and the positive feedback is incredible.

We get our deliveries on a Monday and they are stored until my class has an opportunity to sort and deliver the bins to each division. We practice proper hand washing and the students sort through the produce and then deliver the bins to each classroom. On a delivery day (serving one) we do this in the early afternoon - when we would usually be silent reading - and then at the end of the day after finishing our last block and planners the students go to pick up the bins.

We have a pair of students who are responsible for getting to each of the non-enrolling teachers and other staff in the school. They go around for about 20 min. offering the food to this part of the staff and the deliveries are so appreciated!

Our first delivery was organic apples. They were the most amazing tasting apples ever! The students were begging for extras, not only in my class but in others too. It was so incredible to see the students working and munching on apples. This is a pretty regular occurrence in my classroom as the students are allowed to eat fruit and veggies anytime, but for other teachers they are amazed at how much the students are enjoying the food. Perhaps they too will eventually allow students to eat whole fruit and veg anytime!

This week the delivery was sugar snap peas. I wasn't sure how this would go over, a few of my students were making "yuck" faces when they heard what was coming their way. Delivery was very simple, one large bag per class with some paper towels (to use as plates) and the teacher in each class was asked to give it out to their class, or choose a student to do so...of course they were to wash hands properly before doing so.

Well, we were glad we had so much extra! The students were supposed to have about 4 to 6 pods each, but ended up with about 8 to 10 each and they were happy about that. They were so fresh, and delicious...I know I had my fair share too! Even those who had balked at eating them were partaking in this frenzy!

My students are getting excellent experience by being the delivery people and they are constantly asking "When is the next delivery day?" and "What's in the delivery next time?" They are truly invested in this program and it's great.

There has been a great deal of positive comments regarding the program. Teachers are excited to see students bartering over the last of the produce, helping around the classroom to get any extras that might be left over. The produce is so fresh, the students can't believe how good it tastes. One comment today was a complaint that they wish they had a bag each of the sugar snap peas! Now that's a lot of peas.

A parent spoke to the principal about how he really appreciated that students were being exposed to this type of food at school and that he thought it was great that students were allowed to eat whole fruits and vegetables in the classroom at any time (this is a parent from my class). He said that by offering some foods in the classroom to his child that his son was trying foods he'd never eat at home. Positive peer pressure at its best!

Anyhow, that's how things are looking in my world at the moment.

Oh, hurt my back terribly while ice skating on Friday (It's Monday today) and it was its worst yesterday. I hadn't been 100% raw in my eating for about a week, so tried that today to see if some energy could be spent on healing the back rather than on digestion...and tonight is the best I have felt in three days. I'm going to continue this through for a few days and see if I can't get back to running by Thursday. Bootcamp next Monday. I miss the workouts! As the old saying goes, you don't realize how much you use something until it's not working properly. It's been a long time since I've been in this much pain - well, about two months ago with the tonail injury!! But a long time before that. I don't believe in medicating it, which just masks the issue and doesn't allow my body to rest in order to heal. So I'm taking it easy - relatively - and with a massage tomorrow and more rest I'll be back exercising in no time.

Is there anything you can do to improve your diet? Exercise regime? Take 15 min. today and write about something you'd like to improve, then talk to someone about it...studies prove that when we share our plans with someone else, it makes us accountable for our actions, and we are more likely to follow through.

In the meantime,

Eat Raw, Live Well.

Melinda

No comments: