Sunday, January 20, 2008

Day Six - Daily Green Smoothies

Began my day with the my daughter waking me early and asking to get up to eat. It was 6am. I put her off until 7am when we finally got up and got going for the day.

Weight 138lbs - so up .5 pound from the last time I weighed in, two days ago
Skin - clear, no problems anywhere that I could see.
Feelings - woke up tired but not groggy and my eye was not as bad as yesterday, less goop, less red but still troubled. I was feeling positive and ready to have a great day.

This morning was my first time out for the Sun Run Training Clinic at Hyde Creek. I signed up with my dad to help get him more active and to get me outside on a more regular basis. We meet Sundays as a whole group and there are many trainers. They have all sorts of sub groups. There's the walking group, the walking group with strollers, the run/walk group (which I am a part) and the running group. I thought it was great that strollers could come along.

There was a good mix of people there and we got warmed up and then ran/walked. Today it was walk three, run one and we did that ten times. I knew it would seem simple, but I really want to get back into running slowly as I have injured myself in the past and want to be sure that doesn't happen this time.

The weather could not have been better for mid January! It was cold, but sunny and refreshing. It felt so good to be breathing in that fresh, cool, forest air. The run/walk went by so quickly and I am looking forward to my next session. We are expected to run twice during the week and once with the group on Sundays. They do have an extra session on Thursdays if we so choose. That means that Tuesdays I will be training on my own. I will have to find someone to run/walk with during that time...not sure I would like to run in the dark on my own.

All I had to eat before I went to the run was 2 dates. I usually have some coconut water before Bootcamp, if I have time as it's a great energy boost. I didn't want to drink that much before the run today so I only had the dates. I had a great amount of energy and wasn't hungry until 10:45am. I had a spoonful of honey and then didn't actually eat my smoothie until 12:30pm.

1 fresh banana
1 frozen banana
1/3 tub of spring greens
1 cup blueberries
2 cups of water

I will have to make the time to actually create some of the great smoothie recipes I found on line. I need to use different greens to get a balanced number of nutrients.

Not sure if it's my imagination or wishful thinking but I mentioned in an earlier blog that I wanted to try and get my hair back to it's natural colour and I had read that it was possible to do so by drinking a smoothie a day for an extended period of time. Something maybe I didn't mention is that I have had a large hair loss since my juice fast in September. Every time I showered or brushed my hair or even ran my fingers through it I would get a huge number of strands of hair coming out of my head. It freaked me out. My doctor said it's associated with rapid weight loss and sometimes low iron. Well my iron was low but I am sure I have built it back up and will continue to do so with the green smoothies. What is great is that I have noticed that my hair loss has reduced significantly this week, especially noticeable today when I ran my fingers through and not one strand came out! I hope I have found the answer to having a great head of thick hair again.

I added honey to my evening smoothie so it was this:

2 frozen bananas (must go shopping for fresh!)
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp honey
1/3 tub greens
2 cups water
2 tbsp flax seed oil

Went to bed at 9:30pm as I fell asleep beside my son while putting him to bed. So nothing got done around the house but I woke up feeling great.

Eat well!

No comments: