Monday, January 12, 2009

Fruit and Veggie Program

I announced to our school's staff that we were accepted into the BC Agriculture in the Classroom program. It is a great initiative that they've got going currently, where fresh (albeit, not organic) locally grown produce is delivered to schools and students are encouraged to eat the fruit or veg in a classroom environment. Background information on the food is given and can be discussed while the food is being eaten. Best thing is, there is no cost to the school for this program. The great thing about that in our area is that we are located in a fairly low income area and many of our students do not get a lot of fresh produce at home.

It is estimated that about 2/3 of children in British Columbia are NOT getting the required fruit and vegetables each day. Those that are, probably count french fries as a serving of vegetable as well!! It astonishes me how parents neglect their childrens' needs in this area...mostly due to convenience or such. How easy is it to have fresh fruit and veggies available to kids at home for them to snack on? How about adding some fresh produce to dinner?!

Well, we're going to help in this area and each child, every two weeks will receive two servings of a fruit or vegetable, during class time. I am the coordinator for this program at our school and had to take the Food Safe Course in order to hold this position at the school. I am proud to say I received 100% on my course final assessment! Eating fresh, raw food and a run at lunch before the test helped me accomplish that, I am sure!

So we'll be receiving our first shipment in late January. I am curious as to how the students will react to the food when in the company of their peers. I know in my class on Fruitful Friday, they all try each of the items I bring in and are at least open to trying it. Most end up liking it although there are a handful that may not like this or that.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Is your local school doing something like this? If not, mention it and ask if perhaps your school could get involved. If you don't live in B.C. check out the website and perhaps you could suggest that your government or school district look into doing something similar.

On a side note, I've got the ball rolling for the yahoo group. Check it out.

Eat Raw, Live Well.

Melinda

No comments: