Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Future of Food

WOW! Saw a very important documentary last night and went through some of the extras on the second disk this morning. I have always heard that our food is being controlled by only a few mega giants, but I really didn't realize the depth and breadth of this control.

The movie is called "The Future of Food". It is in local video stores here in the Lower Mainland, and if you can get your hands on a copy I highly suggest it.

Already I have taken two actions due to the information I received in this documentary.

1.) I have the phone number of the local community garden coordinator and I am going to get on the waiting list to get a plot or two of land there so that I can start growing my own food. The land where I live is not great, and there I can learn from others who have been doing this for a long time.

2.) I have begun plans to start up a garden club at school. I of course will have to talk to the principal about this but what better way to teach the kids about sustainable living and where our food comes from but to grow it ourselves! Wish me luck!

Is there something you can do to increase your knowledge base about where your food comes from? Do you have enough land to create your own garden? 15 min. at a time, create your own food...start the planning now and you'll have an amazing garden by summer!

My Yahoo! Group should be up and running by later tonight. I'll keep you posted!

Eat Raw, Live Well,
Melinda

No comments: