Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bright and Early



This is a photo of my garden...
So last night around midnight, I wrote that I wanted to start getting up earlier, and going to bed earlier. Well this morning I woke up at 6am to a little guy crying hard about a nightmare...and never went back to sleep. Because I could not sleep I decided that no time like the present to start getting up earlier. Now I will just have to work on the getting to bed earlier idea!

I had time this morning to do lots! I took some photos of my garden and posted them, I entered the David Suzuki Digs My Garden Contest. It's all about gardening without chemicals.

Here's what I wrote:

Hello!

I am a gardening newbie! This is the first year I have had a garden, but in fact I have two! I'm a teacher at a local middle school and a raw food enthusiast who wants everyone in our community to know that our food can grow without pesticides or other harmful chemicals! My students and I began a garden at our school this year, and have three boxes growing there with potatoes, lettuce, amaranth, chard, lemon balm, and some herbs. At home I was inspired to do a whole backyard makeover and create an edible landscape. I've planted cranberries, fig trees, apple trees, a kiwi tree, and logan berries, and herbs along with two garden boxes full of squash, corn, kale, carrots, tomatoes, onions and beets. The compost bin is also a new addition and we look forward to using it's mineral rich soil next year!

Thank you for considering our garden(s)!

Melinda Gill
(Voluminous Vegetables Entry)

I sent in the photo of my veggie garden. I could win a cool t-shirt, or a David Suzuki Garden Gnome! I also found this video on his website, and though it was suitable for this group! I'll try to embed it here:

So far today I've had some lemon water! Live your day with JOY!

No comments: