Saturday, July 25, 2009

Made My Day

How exciting to see my daughter's precious smile on the main page of RFR today! She was amazed and felt so proud to be on the website. She's heard me talking so much about this site, and seen me on it from time to time during the last two months, so she knew how special it was to be a part of it! Thanks Penni!

Today was another field trip to Fort Langley, B.C. We visited the B.C. Farm and Agriculture museum. It was incredible how many artifacts they had there. They need about three times the space to give their items justice! It really hit me how much people really knew about their food back in those days, when they grew a lot of their own food, made much of their food from scratch and knew exactly what was in the food they were eating, so unlike our lives of today.

Children would not have time to be bored, or need stuff to fill the void/extra time...they had not extra time. They were busy in their studies, helping out around the house, learning how to farm, keep house, and fix things. If they were lucky their family owned some type of instrument and they would learn about music. Family was the most important thing, and everyone pitched in because if they didn't they would not eat or have a properly running home. Makes me think of Little House on the Prairie, which my husband is currently reading to our kids. Life was simple - or at least seemed a lot simpler back then. Simpler in ways but harder in others.

I find often I yearn for simpler times. Simplifying life. I just took a book off my shelf, and will have to dust it off...it is brand new and I've only read a chapter or two but it's all about living simply with kids. Some important messages for us there. My kids would give up all their worldly belongings for more time with mom and dad. So often children are given stuff to occupy them when in reality all they really needed was US!

On this sunny day we also had our last ride on the Albion Ferry, a ferry that runs across the Fraser River. It's free to ride, but now that a big, swanky new bridge has been built 20 min. up river, they are forever closing this ferry. I actually cried when we drove off for the last time. I didn't use it all that often, but again, it's the end of an era for that little ferry and 60 people will lose jobs because of this closure.

The beautiful sunshine gave way to dark ominous clouds and then the skies opened up to all of our senses! Rain, wet on our skin, the electricity could be felt on the hairs of our arms, the claps of thunder had the bravest of souls running for cover and the shocking white/blues and purples of the sheet, chain and fork lightening burned in our retinas! It was a most incredible thunder and lightening storm. The kids loved it, as did I. I actually get giddy when storms come this way as they are not a common event here. The rain was coming down SO hard!

A haiku to mark the event:

Blinding light flashes
Tearing thunder rumbles on
Wounded sky opens

Here's what I ate today:

1 banana with 1tbsp. almond butter and 1 tsp. shredded coconut

1 litre of water

1 small bowl of cherries

1 live bar (size of half my thumb) with "icing" (1 tsp. coconut butter, 1 tsp. honey)

1 Kelp dish - boo hoo, kelp's all gone now, must buy more!

Lots of carrots, celery, orange pepper, cucumber, and such at my mom's place.

Raw ice cream:
Small bowl of strawberry, small bowl of maple walnut

So, as the rain softly taps down on the rooftops nearby I sign off to spend some time with my man who's feeling a wee bit neglected. How are all of your significant others dealing with time you spend on the computer learning new things about raw foods? I didn't think anything of it until he said yesterday - seems like you have more fun on that computer than you do sitting with me these days. Ouch. Just a gentle reminder to give those you love a hug today and let them know how important they are to you!

Cheers and Green Smoothies to you all!

Melinda

No comments: