Saturday, July 4, 2009

Soil Toil

It was another hard day in the garden but not without its rewards! It's really starting to come along out there and we got so much planted today. I was blessed to have my mom here to help me today and it looks great! We planted loganberries, cranberries, an apple tree, too many herbs to name here, peas, tomato plants, salmon berry, and some hostas, ferns and other decorative bits and pieces. I'm still on the lookout for a huckleberry tree as it was my favourite as a kid and I'd like to have one back here. My friend said she could get one from her yard, so perhaps tomorrow...it brings back memories of when my sister and I would spend hours picking huckleberries for hours to make a huckleberry pie (the non raw variety!). I'd love to try making a raw version soon. Tomorrow it's more herb planting, two fig trees going in the ground, and I must thin out my veggie garden so I'm going to put in some of those veggies into the other garden beds we've designed.

The family also got to spend some time at the Maple Ridge Farmer's Market. We haven't been to this market in over two years and they've really improved and have a lot more farmers and artisans there. There's even a stage with entertainment. That's where we got the ferns and hostas.

This evening it was time to face temptation again with my neighbour's son's birthday party. I ate A LOT of fruit there, and lots of celery and some romaine leaves (meant for their burgers, but hey...) We had a great time and I did not feel deprived at all. "Food, not Filler" is my mantra these days. It's amazing how much I used to fill up on stuff that had no real value and the fact that I spent money on that before is astounding to me now. Instead, I made a purchase from upayanaturals.com, a Canadian company that sells quality raw and living foods. Can't wait for my "present" to arrive in the mail shortly. It's FREE shipping all this long weekend in honour of Canada Day (which was July 1st). Which reminds me to say Happy July 4th to all of those celebrating today!

What I ate today:

July 4, 2009

3 litres of water. I'm drinking so much water in this heat. We've had very hot weather this past while.

Breakfast: Pint of blueberries

Lunch: Green smoothie (that was more blue than green!):
1/2 cup blueberries
2 cups water
1 banana
green lettuce
celery
five strawberries with the tops on of course! :)

Later, about a half hour after lunch: 1/4 of an avocado sprinkled with kelp granules (my daughter begged for the rest!)

Snack:

Cacao pudding:

This made 3 servings (one for me, one for daughter, one for son)

2 bananas
1 avocado
2 tbsp. agave
2 tbsp. cacao
Processed in food processor and yum!
My kids liked this so much that I'm going to add a tsp. of green powder next time and see if they notice! :)

Dinner:

Handful of blueberries
pint of strawberries
small bunch of grapes
two rings of pineapple
5 celery stalks
4 leaves of romaine lettuce

I think I ate higher fat today than I have in a week. I guess it's about 2/3 of an avocado...actually that's way lower than I used to eat fat wise. I have to admit, that I'm feeling clearer, way more energy, and my digestion is amazing at the moment. I've also noticed the clothes possibly getting bigger?! I've also done a lot of exercise in the last few days...I'm interested to see what the scale says tomorrow morning.

Cheers!
Melinda

No comments: