Friday, July 10, 2009

New Day, New Outlook

Had a rather good day today.  

Drank 1.5 litres of water  

Ate: apple
kale chips (shared two bags with my two kids - those things are addictive!) for lunch and a
snack 
bowl of strawberries/blueberries - LOVE berry season! 
Living Nuts - about 2 tbsp. worth. They too are great!
Late Dinner: half a cantaloup and half a honeydew melon. How can you tell that my order from Upaya Naturals came in today?! I have to learn how to make kale chips myself.  

Here's a great recipe that I found on line and will use the next time I would like to eat them. My son, the "do not go green" guy (4 yrs) LOVED them. My daughter always loves to try anything and likes most foods. My son will water the garden but not eat from it! So the kale chips will be a great way to get some green in him. I found it on Raw Food Talk by Raw Knitster  

CHEESY CURLY KALE CHIPS  
1 large bunch green curly kale***, washed, large stems removed, torn into bite size pieces COATING: 1 cup cashews, (soaked 2 hours) 
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped 
juice of 1 lemon 
1 T. nutritional yeast 
2 t. agave (opt.) 
1/2 t. himalayan pink crystal salt 

Put coating ingredients in Vitamix. Blend until smooth. Using your hands,(same as with Awesome Goddess Chips which are indeed AWESOME), spread coating on kale pieces getting it inside of curls. Put on teflex sheets and dehydrate at 105 overnight or until coating is dry. Slide onto mesh screens and dehydrate 12 hours, or until very crispy. That seems like a long time to dry kale chips. The kale was very curly, and the coating very thick.  

I will be trying it soon and let you know how it worked for me. Was at a retirement party most the evening and LOTS of temptation there, there were at least five main dishes and about 15 side dishes - one of which was raw, a veggie platter. There were 14 different kinds of desserts. I think I ate most of the fruit tray myself! That's where the melon count came in on my food for today! I enjoy parties much more now that I stick to the raw foods, as I don't feel sick or tired when leaving a party anymore. That's a nice feeling, for sure! Tomorrow it's off to a family reunion picnic (should be interesting!), and a one year old birthday party for my friend's daughter. More temptation, but the more I resist eating it, the less it appeals to me. One day at a time.  

Hope you're all doing well out there!  
Melinda

No comments: